RMNE volunteer Al Pomeroy continues to perform some maintenance on Central Vermont wooden caboose #4014, taking advantage of the warmer weather to make repairs and apply fresh paint. This particular caboose was built in February 1925, replacing another car of the same number that had burned at White River Junction, Vt. The car was in service until at least 1972, when it was purchased to become part of the collection of Steamtown when it was located in Bellows Falls, Vermont. The caboose was privately purchased in 1987 after that organization had decamped to Scranton. The car was later moved to display on the Valley Railroad and eventually moved in 1996 to the Naugatuck Railroad and the Railroad Museum of New England.
—Photos by Howard Pincus