Naugatuck “NYC” 133 Side Dump Car


Our air operated side dump car, “NYC 133,” was built in 1951 for the Monongahela Railway by Magor Car Co., in Clifton, NJ. It’s a 30-cubic yard, 50-ton capacity air-operated side dump, weighs 56,000 lbs. The car became property of Conrail when they merged the Monongahela in 1993, and was passed on to CSX in 1999. CSX gave the car its “NYC” reporting marks, even though it was never owned by the New York Central. Purchased from the Western Maryland Scenic Rwy, Cumberland, MD and arrived at the Nauguatuck Railroad in 2007. Currently in use on the Naugatuck Railroad in maintenance of way service, this car allows us to transport material such as ballast, fill, and rip-rap, and dump it where needed at any work site along the railroad.

Leave a comment